Sunday, July 02, 2017

Memorize this

Knowledge stage
  • Solve puzzles
  • Analyse feedback (diagnosis)
  • Find a remedy
  • Hang the new knowledge in a framework
  • Make the framework coherent
  • Optimize the framework for practical use
Since Dec 3, 2016 I have been busy with the previous steps. Knowledge in itself is unusable. It must be reconstructed when needed, and that takes way too much time and mental energy. Now we have to transform the knowledge into a skill. We are entering terra incognita here. It is important to record every step of the process, while we find out what works and what doesn't.

Skill stage
  • Memorize the scenarios
  • Use the scenarios while solving problems

The tree of scenarios consist momentarily of 23 scenarios. I have put them into ANKI, together with 10 questions to unlock them. In order to be able to retrieve the knowledge right away, without the need to reconstruct the framework in the mind.

5 comments:

  1. I assume that the 23 scenarios are represented by the leaf nodes on the tree of scenarios as last updated.

    Are you asking the same 10 questions for each scenario, or do the questions change relative to each scenario?

    Any interest in sharing your Anki deck?

    I just started learning how to create Anki decks. My special granddaughter is having difficulty learning and remembering simple (single digit) addition and subtraction; she's 9. This occurs whenever she is having lots of (small and large) seizures on that day. She loves cats and kittens, so I made up a deck that contains every addition and subtraction from 0 - 10. However, it is not all just text. I used pictures of kittens (with the corresponding digit for the number of kittens in the lower right corner of the image) to spark her interest. I made 9 different images for each digit. The front of the card has the addition or subtraction problem; the back of the card has the answer as text. I used digits only for any number bigger than 9. I treated addition and subtraction involving 0 as text only. There are 278 cards in the deck. She has an Android tablet. They are currently out of state, visiting one of the other 7 "grandmothers." I hope to get it loaded and in use when they return.

    I did download one add-on to reset scheduling and learning on selected cards. I'd like to have the capability to selectively reorder cards in the deck, but apparently that requires exporting the cards and doing it manually. I know nothing about Python (the underlying programming language) or how to use it to create add-ons. It seems this would be a fertile area of investigation for chess-specific add-ons. I have "dreams" of having an app that will extract positions from PGN or FEN and then create cards that add questions pertinent to PoP, LoA, Fun, motifs, themes/devices, etc. Certainly not programming for the faint of heart or the short of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 23 scenarios. Every knot at the end of a branch is a scenario. Every knot that is not an endpoint is a question. I did sent you the deck.

    I will have a look at the add-ons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! That's what I thought; I just wanted to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, typo on previous comment.

    I just tracked down the video tutorials on IOE:

    Image Occlusion Enhanced Tutorials

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I'm sure I will find applications for that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete