Tactics consist for an important part of the combination of 4 elements and 4 actions.
- Attacking square
Sorry Dan, I'm not ready to use your terminology.
The subtasks of the first order are related to the direct attack.
- Identify the attackers
- Identify the targets
- Identify the pieces that can block the attack
- Identify the escape squares
- Identify the protectors (of the target)
The subtasks of the second order are related to the defenders and the escape squares.
- Identify the attackers of the defenders (the blockers, the protectors, the defender becomes the new target)
- Identify the attackers of the escape squares (restrain)
The next step is to look at the indirect attack.
- Identify the attacking squares
- Identify the blockers between the attacker and the attacking square
- Identify the protectors of the attacking squares.
Subtasks of the third order:
- Identify the attackers of the defenders of the attacking square (the blockers, the protectors, the defender becomes the new target)
Are there other skills that have no relation to this classification? For instance, Troyis is meant to train such unrelated skill (knight manipulation in a confined space).