Friday, March 24, 2006

The problems start all over again.

Life is picking up, so I decided to reorganize my study somewhat.
I have covered the first 7 chapters of SOPE pretty well.
That means that I assimilated the very basics of pawn endings.
There are 3 more chapters to go to be more complete.
I decided to do them at a later stage.
Now I started full throttle with rook endings.
And all the time consuming problems as I met in pawn endings start all over again.
Just because the lack of educational skills by the authors of endgame books.

The most important part I have to master initially is K+R+p vs K+R.
That is what I'm studying.
I use the following books:
  • Theoretical and practical endings - GM Max Euwe
  • Fundamental chess endings - Muller and Lamprecht
  • Secrets of rook endings - John Nunn
In rook endings there is always a chance that I can sacrifice my rook in order to queen my pawn. That makes only sense if I master the remaining endgame Q vs R.
That is won in 99% of the cases.
25 years ago Max Euwe (as all grandmasters in that time) thought it was a very simple ending which lasted for about 20 moves, so there wasn't much need to make always the best move.
I tried his system against the computer, but I couldn't win a single time.

The reason for this is that the computer has altered this endgame from simple to complex.
The defensive side has much more possibilities than once was thought.
The endgame Q vs R new style is covered by John Nunn in his book Pawnless Endings.
I don't have that book, but Muller and Lamprecht used Nunn's analysis in their book Fundamental chess endings (FCE).
If I use that system to play the endgame against my computer, I am confronted with the fact that not all lines are covered.

So this is my problem:
I would be happy to learn the endgame "old style", the simple way.
Because I assume most opponents don't know how to defense against it in the most resilient way.
There plea two arguments against this:
First I can't train this simple method against the computer so how can I master it?
Second I am started studying endgames in the first place to squeeze points out of the endgame.
Hoping to win drawn endgames and hoping to draw lost endings.
By learning how to defend Q vs R endings I have a good chance to draw such lost ending.

The other option is to learn the Q vs R ending "new style".
The problem with that is that the method as described in FCE is not complete. So I have to complete the analysis myself. Which is probably a lot of work.
The books give me no clue how often it is possible to get this ending on the board. So I don't know how useful it is to learn it.

Once again I have to spill my time to find out everything on my own.
Oh, well.

1 comment:

  1. Just starting to read your february edition. i had to catch up a lot of reading. I didn't know that you were already that far.:-)

    ReplyDelete